The State of Oregon does not have requirements for mold testing or mold mitigation. Anyone can do it. Dwellsafe employs a Master's level scientist to help answer question about mold results and mitigation (ANSI/IICRC standards). In order to remain unbiased we do not perform mold mitigation or make referrals.
Indoor Mold and Your Health
"Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. " - EPA
Mold surface sampling is performed to determine the species of mold present. The test does not tell us if the mold is alive. Mold can remain dormant for decades.
Mold is everywhere. What's important is finding where the mold is coming from. Mold air sampling involves taking a minimum of one air sample inside the home and one outside. We then compare the samples to determine if there is a mold source in the home (concentrations inside are greater than outside) and if the levels are high enough to cause problems.
The mold sampling report details all of the mold species present in each sample, the concentrations of each species, if the level are high and the associated health affects of each species found. The analysis is done by a accredited mold laboratory. We pay extra so you get the most detailed mold report available.
Mold cannot live without moisture and all areas of high moisture will grow mold. Simply testing for mold isn't good enough, you should also test for moisture. If high moisture is present, then so is mold, even if it isn't noticeable yet.
We use a combination of infrared cameras and an electromagnetic wave moisture meters that can "see" 3/4" through any building material (except metal) and give us the exact moisture content. It's like x-ray vision without x-rays. We can use the % moisture to determine if mold and rot are likely.
The scan is completely non-invasive and will not result in any damage to the home. You won't even know we were there.